The following tips are universal to all our remotes. Please select a link below for further information on that topic. If these tips do not resolve your specific issue please click the quick link for remote control user guides to get specific remote control information and assistance based on manufacturer.
LED Light Not Flashing
This usually indicates that your batteries need to be changed. Please replace with two new alkaline batteries.
Red Light Flashing Repeatedly
This indicates that the batteries are low. Please replace with two new alkaline batteries.
Buying/Exchanging a Remote
Charter provides a remote control with each of its Digital Set-Top Boxes at no additional cost.
Charter will repair/replace the remote if it does not work as a result of normal wear and tear.
You can pick up a replacement remote at your local Charter Store. Please bring your old remote with you.
If there is not a Charter Store near you, we may be able to ship one to you.
Click here for cost/rate information for your area.
Note: Additional charges may apply
Remote Not Changing Channel/Slow Response .
- Make sure you're changing the channel through the digital set-top box by pressing the "CBL" button at the top of the remote and then try pressing the up or down channel button or entering the channel number
- If the channel is a single digit, you may need to put a zero in front of it for the digital set-top box to recognize it. Example: Channel 5 should be entered "05" and not "5".
- Try pressing ENTER on your Remote Control after you press in the numbers.
- Make sure the power light on your digital set-top box is lit.
- Use the front panel buttons of your digital set-top box to try changing the channels to verify proper operation.
- Make sure nothing is blocking the front of the digital set-top box (e.g., furniture).
- Make sure you are operating the Remote Control within about 20 feet of the digital set-top box.
- Check the batteries and replace if low.
- Refer to the Remote Control setup instructions, and make sure you have the correct codes programmed for your equipment.
- Make sure the Charter remote is set to cable by pressing the CBL button. Then try to change channels.
- Since some fluorescent lights and TVs with fluorescent backlights can emit infrared "noise", they may interfere with the infrared communications from a remote to a digital set-top box. Try turning off any fluorescent light sources in the room to see if that makes a difference. If it does, here are some possible remedies:
- Move the digital set-top box so it is not directly centered under the TV.
- Turning the box slightly so the remote hits it from an angle.
- Place a small piece of masking tape over the infrared receiver of the digital digital set-top box. This reduces the amount of infrared signal that reaches the digital set-top box which may also reduce the range of your remote.
- Reboot your digital set-top box by unplugging from power for 15 seconds and plug back in, once the digital set-top box is back up try your remote again.
Remote Changes Channels but not Volume on TV
If the Charter remote changes the channels but does not control the volume and/or turn the TV on and off you will need to program the remote to control your TV. Click here for information on finding and programming your remote control.
back to top »